Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Interview update

As some of you might know/remember, I had the great opportunity to do an interview in Cleveland this past weekend. (Theinternship.org is the site if you want more information about it is all about.) The interview experience is just as valuable as the internship so far, and as Rick says: "the internship starts with the interview." I learned a lot from the interview process this weekend that I can take with me wherever I go regardless of whether I get this particular job or not. About communication what people need to hear, knowing myself, being confident in who I am in Christ, knowing what situations I am most comfortable, etc. I learned that much just in the interview process over the weekend, imagine what I would learn over a year as a intern!

Before I bore you. The interviews went well. That is right, I had more than one interview. By the time the weekend was over I ended up having three separate interviews with three different groups of people, not including my interview over the phone a few weeks ago.

My first interview was with Rick over lunch. I am comfortable with both him and the idea of food and so conversation is easy and free. Talked about ministry ideas, church structure, and my own giftedness for ministry. He really liked what I had to say and would consistently tell me that for the next interview that I should bring up what I just said.

The next interview rolled around that night with some leaders from the youth group as well as some parents and I had forgotten everything that I was told that I should say from that last interview. It is a different group of people and a different setting, I was much more self-conscience and nervous about what I was saying. I found myself talking a lot and not answering questions as much, which turned out not to be as good as I thought it would be. Rick told me afterward that I should have just answered questions and told less stories. Overall Rick said that I improved since the last interview that I had over the phone with the same group of people.

I went to the church site on Sunday and had a gimps of what they are about... Huge church. Five services, and they are still running out of room and resources to meet the ever growing needs. The have a program for every age group and a place for every skill, it was incredible! As I walked through the halls I wondered way they even needed interns, but I realize now it is about giving interns a positive first ministry experience.

After church I had my last interview with Joe, some leaders, and some students at Panera Bread. I was far more comfortable with this interview then the last. Maybe it has something to do with food, I have no idea. We talked about roughly the same things, ministry ideas, why I am interested in ministry, what do I like to do. Since their were students their it was much more relaxed and not just focused on me like the previous interview. I asked them questions, they asked me questions, they asked each other questions. We just hung out more than anything and got to know each other more.

I still don't know if I got the internship, and I don't know when I will know. I still have my eyes open for different opportunities that might be where God is leading me. I understand that it might only be that God wanted me to learn how to be interviewed and not get the job, I am okay with that. I also understand that if God is preparing me to be interviewed then I had better be looking for the job that requires me to be interviewed.

That is the update. Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Later

1 comment:

  1. Praying for those internships, Jeremy, God's going to find you the right place soon. :)
    And I remember being invited by you and Rachel to write on the blog, but I don't know what is required to start... could you help me with that?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.