Each new week has brought new challenges, and I have not been prepared for them in the least. Now, unmet challenges are compounding on each other and I am getting in over my head. Dealing with unemployment, new environment without friends, first time in ministry, and who knows what will come next. I pray that God would prepare me enough to face the trials that come my way.
Rick and I had a very important conversation on Thursday. He explained why I sat at my desk planning all kinds of events and lessons and wasn't doing something else. "Relationships" he said. That is why we plan and organize everything we do, so that relationships can happen in a seemingly natural way. My job, from my new understanding, is to program events and situations in such a way that our leaders can walk in and have meaningful relationships with students. Everything from how the couch is positioned to what we speak on each day. The goal is people's growth through relationships.
Once I understood this everything else clicked into place. I suddenly have purpose to this "task" that I have been given. I see why we had certain elements of ministry that I would otherwise think unimportant in light of this truth about ministry. It is no long just task, but opportunities to position people so that they can have great relationships with students and each other, building together until we all attain unity and godliness.
I met with my new "life group" for the first time. a life group is basically a small group of people that meet somewhere once or more a week and share life together. My group of people are all new, either to the group or to the area. We are starting fresh. When we met everyone didn't really know what to do, no one knew each other. We finally played a dice game until we were more comfortable with each other. Everyone there desires community and friends, but that takes time. There was a lot of excitement about meeting new people, and I look forward to making new friends within the group. I am sure that you will hear more about my life group in future post.
An old friend of mine from college is visiting today. We're going out to lunch and might hang out for a bit. I have not seen or heard from him in roughly 2 years, I am excited to see what God has done with his life and where he is going to lead him.
Father's day is Sunday. Every year is different. I never know what to expect. Two years ago I got Dad a bike and he loved it. He never rode it, but he love it just the same. Last year I think I go him a card with super-man on it. He enjoyed that as well. This year I nearly forgot until a day or two ago. I still don't know what I am going to get him though. I am likely to just write him a letter about how cool I think he is. I wish I had planned more for this. He his hurting so much from everything going on at home, days like these can either go great or horrible depending on who calls or what is happening. I hope that I can make it a good day for him. Not that I want to be known for making it a great day, but because I think it will be good for him to receive appreciation for once in a while. I guess while find out how it goes on Sunday. Happy father's day y'all.
Blessings
Later
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.