Over the weekend I went home to surprise some people. My family and Rachel mostly, everyone else knew I think. I had saved up enough money to get out there and see my family, I didn't have enough money on me to get back, most people thought me to be crazy. What they didn't know is that I have $100 dollars at my house that I am just waiting to use, so I guess I had more than enough. What actually happened this weekend still blows my mind - I made money going home.
I drove into my grandparents newly paved driveway (not a fan) at around 11:15pm thursday night. Spent the night and morning with them mostly eating (I don't eat when I drive) and talking about how much my dad has been doing around the house. And the driveway (still not a fan). When it came time to leave grandpa gave me his card and told me to fill up the car ($42), and this is after he sent me $50 in the mail just for the heck of it.
From there I went to my dad's office to surprise him for his birthday. He said in his sarcastic tone "I suspected that you might be coming" and then gave me a hug. I missed him so much. We talked for a long time about different books that we are reading and different things going on at home. He shared some of his books and I, being well prepared, shared some of mine. I gave him a book on spirituality and would later give him "The Robe" after my sister is done with it. He seemed really excited about reading those books, which made me excited. Then grandpa showed up and we were all excited.
Grandpa took dad and I out for lunch. Three generations at one table, it was great. And no girls either, just a bunch of guys talking about whatever. And the food was good too, but not as good as seeing my grandpa and dad at the same table. God is doing something incredible I feel. I can't wait to see the result of it. I just keep praying for my dad, and my mom too.
After lunch dad and I got our hair cut which was also a lot of fun. I haven't had my hair cut with dad in a long time. I saw him smile at this event, which is worth any level of awkwardness. But this didn't last forever because next I had to go scoop and home and see everyone else too.
Mom found out indirectly from Tim before I got to her. She was excited to see me too, but she was super busy so I wasn't able to have too much time with her. Running and ice cream shop is a full time deal. Regardless it was nice to see them, even thought I never saw them both in the same place. I think of it as living in a functionally divorced home. My whole time I was there I never saw more than two people from my family in the same room. Makes family visits a bit of a drag in my opinion.
I finally made it home and saw my other sisters, both where excited to see me. Sheen was so stressed out from mom that she didn't want to stick around, so I went to find her later and we talked a while and exchanged stories and books. Dara and I played with her dogs for a while and then talked about life for a little bit. The weekend at this point is nearly half over with and it is only 4pm.
That night I spent at a good friends house where I finally got some rest and refreshed. I love my family and my house, but it is not place to get rest or find encouragement. My friend and I talked about what we have been learning lately, different books we have read over the last months. He shared his latest craz about the gospel in the stars and I told him about my new favorite book, "the robe". It was just a good time to hang out without having to worry about... anything. I understood why Christians would gather in homes together, because they needed too. Fellowship with other believers is just so necessary for healthy life. Short of picking up Rachel the next morning, that was one of the more valuable times that weekend. Seeing my dad is still on the top though.
Rachel was a sight for sore eyes, that was for sure. She came through the camp door and everything was okay then. My heart was racing, but calm at the same time. The smile on her face made me smile, I missed her a ton. After the campers left we took the day to drive to the airport. Normally a 2 hour drive, took us nearly 5. Not because of traffic, but just because we wanted to take our sweet time. I took her out for lunch to a nicer restaurant and walked around holding hands... because we could. It was good. Once I dropped her off at the airport I drove straight back to Cleveland and ended my weekend right around 9:30pm.
That is how it is done.
Blessings
Later
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.