Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Call from the principal - life as an Intern

At first glance I am sure you are thinking what most did. "You don't go to public school and you are surely not in a situation to be called by the principal." That is what I thought too. Here is how the story goes, in light of the Missio Dei series we started and other events that have taken place the last couple of days, I decided to be more purposeful about reaching students. I decided that if other organizations can get into public schools and reach at risk students for Christ, I can too. So, I called a few schools and left messages asking what the visiting policy - seeing as I have never been before, I figured I would ask before just showing up.

A few days pass over the weekend, and Monday morning rolls around and I get a call. It is the principal from one of the schools that I wanted to visit students at, and he wasn't happy with me. At all. I answered calmly thinking that I was getting an answer to my question, I was wrong. He sounded rather upset about my message and further told me that he was. Apparently me asking about the school visiting policy put up some red flags and the school was ready to get the police involved. I am freaking out now thinking I might get in trouble with the cops, so as quickly and clearly as possible I explain myself and my situation. Saying, I am an intern at a local church, and I just wanted to visit some students from the youth group over lunch. I didn't want any trouble and if it a problem I can back off, not questions asked.

After some explaining and talking things through I realized the mistakes I made and apologized for the scare. I didn't really think through the fact that a middle aged man calling with an out of state number to a local high school to visit random students sounds kind of shady. I didn't leave any reason for visiting students or names of students that I wanted to see. To them I was just another creep that wanted to mess with the school systems. I thought that I would just leave a message and keep it short, but that is not the case with the educational system. They like details.
Another day lived, another lesson learned.

Here is a journal entry after my first Missio Dei small group also:
"Last night I went to the men's small group study for Missio Dei. I went expecting to find some men who had got together to read a devotional and pray, maybe do a discussion or something too, but nothing else. The reality of what I found was incredible! Fifty or more humble men who desire to pursue God. Not perfect, but growing and chasing after God. Needless to say at this point, I am very excited about the group of rag-tag spiritual soldiers that I have been privileged to join the ranks with.

"As for the series and the group work itself, there is only one way to describe it: Spiritual butt kicking! God is after me and has a good deal of pride to work through. It is going to be one crazy ride! There is no place, no room, and no time for fakers - I experienced that for the first time last night. When it comes to following Christ you are either in or out, not much in between. Revelations calls them "lukewarm" not good.

"I further believe this is going to be good for Chris and I, and the relationship between us. Nothing builds a friendship like being beat up together. I think if we stick this out, we could be friends for a really long time. I am excited (but you knew that already)! I prayed for a friend to pursue God with and I am finding myself with a family/army.

"Oh God, pursue me! Fill me with your spirit and let me come into your presence. May I know you and serve you more. God I want to love you more. I am lost and blind, lead me to your truth and hold me in your love. For you alone God, have salvation."

Blessings from a pilgrim
Later

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.