Allow me to give you a little recap on this week. Partially because I have to, but also since there is great value in seeing what God has done even within a weeks time. The events listed may or may not be in chronological order. Monday night Chris and I had our small group, and it was indeed small. Out of the eight that are in the group, only three showed up - Chris and I being two of them. I thought it was wonderful, and Chris said it right, "Gives us a chance to get intimate!" With less people we were able to cover more ground and deal with some deeper issues and encourage each other with stories. Further proving: less = more.
Tuesday after school we had our third round of Epic, the after school program. This was also the first time the teacher wasn't there and it was more "student" led. It is always encouraging to see students seeking to do God's work - community service projects, reaching out to other, etc. This week we talked about Loving one another as Chris has loved us. Joe D and I got together Friday and figured out what to teach on, and both of us are excited about teaching (discussion leading) the "One another" passages. We did "Love one another as Christ has loved you" this Tuesday and I think Encourage is next. I am going to have to meet with Joe at some point before then to make sure he is ready. I taught this last one, this next one is his. He told me yesterday that he is excited about it, and I am too.
Starbucks with Chris was very good. I honestly don't remember much other than that he noticed I took my computer home with me. Something I said I wouldn't do for temptation sake. I am so grateful that he noticed that and would dare to ask me, most would not do that. It is so encouraging to meet with him in the morning and encourage one another with stories from the week and challenge each other with crazy ideas or things we have read. As Iron sharpens iron, so Jeremy and Chris sharpen one another.
Wednesday night we had small group with the students and we played star tipping. At first I did not think it was real, but some doubt trick, then I tried it. It is real. The person starts by spinning around and around for about 30 seconds while looking at a star then they stop and someone shines a light in the face. Every single one of us fell over without fail. It is the weirdest things I have done in a long time. Look it up on google if you want to see what it looks like. It was a good time.
Now it is Thursday and I have to admit, I am very tired. I want to complain about it, but I think it is better look on the positive side of things. Today's assignment for American Lit is a journal by Mary Rowlandson from 1675. As I finished reading I had a much better understand of what the bible means when it says "My strength is made perfect in weakness." Mary is someone who went through much affliction and weakness, but as she records, it only provide more opportunities for God to comfort and provide. It is an encouragement to read about such things.
Tomorrow I am going to try and bang out some homework so I have weekend to enjoy. In light of work and church, my weekend is the shortest part of my week. I also want to see if I can help someone this weekend as he remodels his house. We'll see if I get around to that though.
Fall retreat is next weekend and my sister might be coming out for that. Since my sister cannot drive yet, my dad is going to come out too. I really hope that happens, because it would be very encouraging to see them and for them to get away for awhile too. My dad operates a mean leaf blower, and with leaf pick-up as the service project for the retreat, I would be very grateful for him being there.
Blessings from a pilgrim
Later
Jeremy, I know this was a stressful week and I'm sorry that you didn't get to see your dad at the end of it. I'm sure you were very disappointed even though it didn't show. I enjoyed talking to your sister - I hope she can come and stay longer. If that's something you guys can work out she's welcome to stay at our house if there's no room at your place. The retreat went without a hitch - you did well. I hope you have a time of refreshing this week. Know that you are in our prayers. And stop over for dinner on Tues if you'd like. We'll have pasta instead of breakfast.
ReplyDelete