Sunday, March 11, 2012

South Africa - Day 2

As I am writing this Rachel is sleeping, 7 hours ahead of me, 9 ahead of family and other friends. She has already performed at least on concert, possibly two and is starting to adjust to the time difference. The forecast for the week looked sunny with a high near 85F. Given her personality I know that she has likely already tried to share the gospel with people (Even on the plane) and is taking every opportunity to get to know and encourage people. I am excited to her about what God does through her and to her on account of this trip. I don't doubt it will be anything less than... something really great. Yeah.

Anyways, the funny story on the table now is these note cards that have started to show up. Yesterday morning I was working on my lesson in my room and went down stairs to take a short break and get a glass of water ("wooder" as Rachel would say it.). I ran into my roommate briefly and then went back up starts. I was only gone for 3 minutes, tops. When I get back to my computer I find two hand-written note cards on my keyboard. I immediately recognized the hand-writing as Rachel's and was stoked to have them and read them. So I did. They were very simple notes about something she appreciated about me written on 3x5 cards. Then it dawned on me... Where did they come from?! I was only gone a minute or two and Kyle doesn't go in my room, and even he did - how did he get the notes to Rachel and onto my computer without me noticing?! I freaked out for a good 5 minutes at least. It totally ruined my train of thought.

At first I attributed it to my lack of memory or something magical. Maybe I pulled them out and forgot to put them away. Maybe they feel out of the letter she wrote me and I didn't notice. Anything could have been possible I thought. "Whatever" I thought, "I have the notes and I am very thankful that they appeared to me some how." With a grin on my face I tried to get back to work as best I could all the while trying to figure out some kind of reasoning behind the whole thing.

Today came and went without much to report. I had my normal learning experience working in ministry and dealing with students, otherwise nothing exciting. Their were times, both last night and today, that I would have really enjoyed having Rachel around to help me with things. There are just certain ministry opportunities that a guy should not take alone. Those are the times I think of Rachel. Also when something cool or exciting happens, because then I wish she could experience it with me (Because a story is never as good as the experience). To be honest though, I just think of her a lot and this trip is only increasing it. Example: I would look at the clock every couple of hours and think about what she might be doing over there and how I could be praying for her.

Later on today, on my way through door into my house I think to myself "I am not sure how those notes came from Rachel, but knowing her I should have another one waiting for me when I get inside." The first thing I do is look on the table - nothing. I look through the mail, sometimes she likes to hide them - still nothing. I looked by the chair I normally sit in - a letter for Kyle, but no note for me. I run upstairs to my room and nothing. Then I see my pillow - A note! I drop everything from both body and mind and read. It is another note about what she appreciates about me written on a 3x5 card in blurry pencil. I was glad to say the least.

Now it is going to be a game about where to look for them and when they will "appear". I am excited! I will have to start thinking of ways to show my appreciate in return. Hopefully I can think of something... This is hard to beat though. Magical appearing note cards is hard to top.

I was thinking the other day about how blessed I have been in different areas of my life and my relationship is no exception. Gosh, I am so thankful. Anyways....

Blessings from an appreciative pilgrim
Later

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.