Friday, June 8, 2012

Update - June 7th


As I write this update I am sitting at the Atlanta Airport waiting for my flight into New Mexico to see Rachel. I have to say, after about a month without seeing her, I am fairly excited to see her in person. It just isn't the same as Skype or talking on the phone. One month is the shorter of the two times we'll be apart. The longer one takes place once I leave New Mexico - seven weeks. After that though, things change.


This weekend we're having a pre-wedding reception for our New Mexico guest. We and the guest will celebrate with friends and family as if we are married, but we won't be. This is going to be both hilarious, awkward and just weird. People are going to be expecting all kinds of affection from us, asking us to act like we are married - "we're not married though!" I imagine this situation and many other awkward things taking place this weekend. The danger comes because of what it will do to our minds. It will be very easy for Rachel and I to get sucked into the idea that we are married, we could let our guards down and ignore the reality that there is 9 more weeks. We have to be so careful.

Now, about leaving the country. One thing I am very glad for is God's evident involvement in everything. Both the big concerns and the little ones that escape my mind - God has in mind. It would be so easy to become stressed at all that still needs to take place before we can leave, there are just so many details that I haven't even begone to consider. Though stress would be easy, we can instead rest easy knowing that God has everything - including us - in mind as we head to China.

One really cool thing that has happened the last couple weeks is God's continue provision for our financial needs. Our needs aren't much, but the budget is going to be pretty close. With that in mind, the amount that I tithe at church is something I consider more closely. And when I didn't have small bills this past weekend, I had a decision to make. Do I continue to trust God with my financial concerns, or do I trust in my own abilities? Do I trust in God's promises? I decided to give a little more and trust that God would provide for the difference.

On my way out of church that day I was stopped by one of the mom's in the youth group. She gave me a card wishing me good luck in future ministries, my marriage and the trip to China. It contained more than the difference of what I gave. Only moments after I gave it - God gave it back! I think I have received more money not working, than working... This happened the following week as well. Both times it was almost exactly the amount that I gave if not more. I think it is God's way of (though it could mean something else) rewarding our trust in Him. Whatever the case - God is providing!

Earlier this week I met with my home church about going to China. I will also give a presentation this weekend to Rachel's church about our opportunity. One of the things that is becoming more of a reality as I talk about China, is how much I don't know about what we actually need. I can talk all day about what we'll be doing and how it is all going to work out, those are easy. When I struggle to articulate is when people ask how they can help us or about what we'll need when we get over there. I know that we need support of some kind, even if some of our needs are provided. So, I thought about it and came up with a few areas that we could use some support beyond what we'll receive from the school in China. As I could have guessed, almost all of the areas in one way or another could use financial support.

Here are some of the areas that I have thought of where you can partner in ministry - I am sure there is more:
  • Your support will help us build the school's easy-reading library for the students
  • Your support will assist us with inviting people into our apartment and building relationships for the Kingdom
  • Your support may give us the chance to reach the needs of those in poverty around us
  • Your support is a ministry directly to us with our own personal expenses.
    • Assist freeing us from debt for future opportunities. 
    • Build our emergency account.
    • Reduce the strain by providing a financial buffer. 
Thank you so much for your prayers and partnership with us as we head to China. It is not an endeavor we could do without the support of friends and family.

I keep adding new people to the mailing list. If you wish to see previous updates go to PBNJeremy.blogspot.com

Blessings from a pilgrim on the move
Later

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.