Saturday, February 4, 2012

A real update

Well, I have to apologize that I haven't been posting the last couple of weeks. I really don't know where time has gone lately. I can hardly believe it is already February! I talked to Rachel the other day and it dawned on me that we have already been engaged for a whole month! Things are going much faster than I could have imagined.

This week as been exciting and strange. "Exciting" because I have been getting phone calls and emails from different churches about youth ministry positions. Some of them closer to home than others, but right now I am just looking for a job. If I wasn't getting married it would be different, but since I am... I need to take care of Rachel and have a good job. "Strange" because one of the places that called me about the position did so at 9:30 at night. Understandably I am a single guy in youth ministry - I should be up late - but still it caught me off guard that someone would make a phone interview that light at night. Makes me wonder what they church is like...

Another Option that I have considered is going back to finish off my master's degree. Though, I haven't considered it for very long. The idea only lasted about a week before I started off on other ideas. I denied that option mostly because of money, and also because of current job offers. If I can get a job that would pay for continuing education, it would be worth the wait before heading back. If I can't find a job that will pay for my education, I still need an income to pay for it which requires a job... you see where this is going. I need a good job.

Some days I think I have all the time in the world to find a job and get the ball rolling, then other days I feel the rush of getting everything done. Landing a job could take a month or more, then I have to move out there, find a place to stay, etc. When I consider those factors, everything seems to be going much faster. Add a wedding on top of that and my world starts to spin. These are the days I take hold of the truth that God has a plan. When I remember that, it doesn't really matter how much I have going on around me. I know He will get me through it and provide for me in ways that I could not have imagined. Yeah it is still hard, but I know I will get through it.

Speaking of provision. I am having car problems again. That is proof enough that God answers prayer. I asked that I would learn to depend on Him and have opportunities to trust Him. A week later my front suspension goes out and I find myself with little to no extra cash and a large potential bill. I will get an estimate on Monday, but I would think it is going to cost something close to $400+. I have enough money for the fix, but it will set me back on other things I am saving for. Oh well. God has provided thus far, I trust He will continue.

Rachel and I have pretty much stopped wedding planning for a while. She is loaded down with school and I with the job search. We both decided that we could plan a wedding in a few months if we need to, so we'll just take a break until our schedules free up a little bit. It really easily can consume a persons time and life if you aren't careful. I am just working on getting the big things out of the way, such as what the groomsmen and I will wear and reservations for out of town guest. Just the things that can't wait until last minute.

On a ministry note: Winter retreat is next weekend! It is only 48 hours, but it is one of the major events of the year. Second only to summer camp. I am looking forward to the weekend and seeing what God will do in the lives of the students and leaders alike. I know personally I learn a lot from these retreat. They are the shaping moments in my life.

A funny moment happened yesterday. My sister told me she wanted to be an aunt. I had to tell her one thing at a time. Yet the thought caught me off guard. Regardless of when it happened, there is a pretty high chance it will soon enough. My brothers and sisters will become aunts and uncles. I suddenly found myself the old married man in the family. Who would have thought that would have ever been the case.

That is all for today.
Blessings
Later

2 comments:

  1. Haha, the pressure of having kids already! Don't forget to have some time for just you and Rachel before you have kids...I wouldn't trade the last year and a half with just Steve and I for anything. It's great to just have time to get to know each other and learn how to live together. The waiting is tough, but well worth it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jill,
    Thanks for the advice. Rachel and I aren't planning to rush things, but when do things ever go as planned. Glad to hear that you and Steve are having a wonderful marriage so far. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.